Established in 2004, the VFW Unmet Needs program has provided over 10.5 million dollars in emergency assistance grants to nearly 9,000 qualified Veterans and Military families. Then in 2007 Burger King became the primary supporter of the program and has since raised more than 5.3 million dollars so the program can continue providing grants for assistance that can go towards rent, mortgages, utilities, vehicle repairs, food, and other basic life needs. Fundraising campaigns are held annually during either July or November with 100% of the proceeds going directly to the program and the families it assists.
Who Is Eligible For The Program?
In order to be eligible, the applicant must be a Service Member, Veteran, or eligible dependent listed under the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS).
Eligible applicants can be approved to receive grants up to $1,500 that can go towards eligible expenses that are paid directly to the creditor.
What Types of Expenses are Eligible and Ineligible?
Expenses that can be deemed eligible for payment:
- Household expenses (mortgage, rent, repairs, insurance).
- Vehicle expenses (payments, insurance, repairs).
Major repairs for vehicles over ten years old
will not be considered.
- Children's school or childcare expenses.
- Medical bills, prescriptions & eyeglasses (the patient’s portion for necessary or emergency
medical care only).
Expenses that are ineligible for payment:
- Credit cards, military charge cards or retail store cards.
- Cable, Internet, or secondary phones.
- Cosmetic or investigational medical procedures & expenses.
- Taxes - property or otherwise.
- Furniture, electronic equipment or vehicle rentals.
- Any other expenses not determined to be a basic life need.
The eligible and ineligible expense lists are not all inclusive. Each case will be carefully reviewed for
its own merits.
Upon approval, payments will be made directly to the creditor. All
applications are individually reviewed and the VFW reserves the right to make exceptions on a case-by-case basis.
How Do I Apply?
Those who are seeking to apply can apply using the online application directly below:
Applicants will be contacted once their applications have been processed.
Click below for additional information about the program